WASHINGTON, D.C. – A 21-year-old gunman identified as Nasire Best, who reportedly claimed he was Jesus Christ, was shot dead by United States Secret Service agents after opening fire near a security checkpoint outside the White House on Saturday evening.
Authorities said the incident unfolded at about 6:10 p.m. near 17th Street Northwest after Best was allegedly seen pacing suspiciously around the White House perimeter before pulling out a revolver and firing multiple shots toward federal officers.
Okay News reports that Secret Service agents immediately returned fire, killing the suspect at the scene during a rapid exchange of gunfire that triggered a temporary lockdown of the White House complex. At least one civilian bystander was reportedly struck and seriously injured during the shooting.
According to reports from U.S. media outlets, Best had previously come to the attention of federal authorities over repeated incidents near the White House grounds. Court documents cited by investigators reportedly showed that the suspect had earlier identified himself as “Jesus Christ” during a prior arrest involving unlawful entry and disorderly conduct around restricted federal areas.
Federal investigators said the motive behind the attack remains under investigation, although sources familiar with the case described the suspect as mentally troubled and previously subject to court restrictions barring him from approaching the White House vicinity.
FBI Director Kash Patel confirmed that federal agents responded alongside the Secret Service following the shooting incident, while heavily armed security personnel sealed off portions of the White House complex for nearly 30 minutes.
Members of the White House press corps who were on the North Lawn during the shooting described hearing repeated gunshots before being ordered to run into the press briefing room for safety.
The incident marks the latest high-profile security breach near the White House amid growing concerns over political violence and threats targeting public institutions in the United States.
President Donald Trump later praised the Secret Service and law enforcement agencies for what he described as a swift and professional response to the attack.

