The National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP) has confirmed that Mr. Christopher Nwoye, the embattled owner of the controversial Happy Home Orphanage in Asaba, Delta State, has surrendered himself to the agency after several weeks of evading arrest.
This development was disclosed in a statement issued on Thursday in Abuja by NAPTIP’s Press Officer, Mr. Vincent Adekoye. According to him, the suspect voluntarily turned himself in at the agency’s headquarters, marking a significant step forward in an investigation that has attracted national attention.
Okay News reports that NAPTIP had earlier announced, in separate statements dated September 17 and 26, that Mr. Nwoye had been declared wanted after repeated attempts to get him to appear for questioning failed.
Children Rescued Amid Disturbing Allegations
The controversy surrounding the orphanage began in June when operatives of NAPTIP conducted a raid at the facility. During the operation, over 70 children were discovered under questionable circumstances. Out of these, about 15 were newborn babies, and eight of them were later traced to have been allegedly stolen from Kano and Gombe states.
Adekoye explained that four women from Delta State who were claiming to be mothers of some of the rescued children were currently in NAPTIP custody for interrogation to verify their claims.
“The agency is leaving no stone unturned in its efforts to establish the true identities of these children and ensure justice for all parties involved,” he added.
NAPTIP Assures Transparency and Legal Compliance
Providing an update on the situation, NAPTIP’s Director-General, Hajia Binta Adamu-Bello, confirmed that Mr. Nwoye appeared at the agency’s headquarters in Abuja, accompanied by his lawyer and a few women.
Adamu-Bello said, “Mr. Christopher Nwoye gave himself up today when he arrived at the Headquarters of NAPTIP, Abuja, in the company of his lawyer and women. He had, before now, turned down all entreaties to report to the agency for investigations.”
She emphasized that NAPTIP’s actions were strictly lawful and carried out under the Trafficking in Persons (Prohibition) Enforcement and Administration Act, 2015, which empowers the agency to investigate, rescue, and prosecute cases related to human trafficking, abduction, and child exploitation.
“It is important to restate that the rescue operation by NAPTIP operatives at Happy Home Orphanage was not an abduction, as the agency does not engage in such a condemnable act,” she clarified.
Ongoing Investigation and Welfare of the Rescued Children
Adamu-Bello further explained that the rescued children are currently being cared for in a protective shelter where they are receiving adequate medical and psychological support pending the conclusion of the investigation.
She stressed that contrary to some reports circulating on social media, the children were not being coerced into adopting any religion.
According to her, “The children have been rescued and are in a protective shelter, receiving the best care pending the conclusion of the investigation. They are not being forced to embrace another religion, and they would not be forced to do so.”
Women Under Interrogation and DNA Tests Underway
The NAPTIP boss also revealed that the women who had previously ignored official invitations from the agency were now in custody and being interrogated to confirm their relationship with the children.
She said, “The women who claimed ownership of the children and refused to respond to the agency’s invitation earlier were also in the agency facility and are being interrogated to ascertain their claims.”
Adamu-Bello assured that the case would be thoroughly investigated to establish the truth, including conducting DNA tests to determine the biological parents of the children before any final decisions are made.
Agency Reaffirms Neutrality and Commitment to Justice
Reiterating NAPTIP’s commitment to transparency, Adamu-Bello urged stakeholders, particularly the media, to avoid misinformation that could jeopardize the investigation.
“It is very important that Mr. Nwoye is in our facility now in connection with the alleged stolen children that were traced to his orphanage and rescued by operatives of NAPTIP. His presence is crucial to the ongoing investigation. It is also important for stakeholders, including the media, to know that NAPTIP remains neutral in this matter,” she stated.
NAPTIP reaffirmed its resolve to ensure justice for every child involved, while maintaining strict adherence to due process and human rights standards throughout the investigation.