BENIN CITY, Nigeria — The Edo State Police Command says all passengers abducted during a kidnapping attack along the Benin–Lagos Road earlier this month have been successfully rescued.
The command disclosed this in a statement on Saturday, revealing that the incident occurred on May 9, 2026, at Ogua Community along the busy highway when armed kidnappers attacked a commercial bus belonging to Young Shall Grow Motors.
According to the police, the bus was conveying 13 passengers from Akwa Ibom State to Lagos when the gunmen struck. During the attack, a female passenger was reportedly shot by the assailants.
The police said coordinated rescue and bush combing operations were immediately launched following the incident, leading to the rescue of five passengers, including two adults and three children.
The command added that on May 10, operatives deployed drones, aerial surveillance technology, and intelligence-driven tactics to track the kidnappers, resulting in a gun duel that led to the rescue of two additional passengers.
Okay News reports that the remaining six abducted passengers were later rescued unhurt, bringing the total number of rescued victims to 13.
Edo State Commissioner of Police, Monday Agbonika, commended the operatives involved in the operation for their courage and resilience.
The police command also assured residents that intensive bush combing operations are continuing in a bid to arrest those responsible for the attack.
The statement was signed by the Police Public Relations Officer of the Edo State Command, ASP Eno Ikioedem.

