Home News Troops Rescue Abducted Villagers After Night Attack In Kano Community
NewsSecurity

Troops Rescue Abducted Villagers After Night Attack In Kano Community

Share
Share

Authorities in Kano State, a major administrative region in northern Nigeria, have confirmed that troops of Operation MESA under the 3 Brigade of the Nigerian Army have rescued seven of the residents abducted during a violent night attack on Yankamaye Cikin Gari, a village located in the Tsanyawa Local Government Area of the state.

Okay News reports that the rescue operation followed a coordinated response by both military personnel and Nigeria Police Force operatives after receiving an emergency alert from members of the community.

According to a detailed statement issued on Sunday by Captain Babatunde Zubairu, the Assistant Director of Army Public Relations for the 3 Brigade, the armed invasion occurred on November 29 at approximately 11:00 p.m. Zubairu revealed that a large group of bandits, all travelling on foot, stormed the village and forcefully abducted ten residents while also killing a sixty-year-old woman during the assault.

He explained that troops immediately mobilised alongside police officers and pursued the attackers along the withdrawal route leading toward Rimaye. The soldiers, he added, confronted the assailants with sustained firepower and succeeded in retrieving seven of the kidnapped victims alive.

“The bandits fled towards Kankia Local Government Area in Katsina State. Efforts are ongoing to track their location,” he stated.

Captain Zubairu also relayed the commendation of the Commander of the 3 Brigade, who praised the troops for demonstrating “bravery, swift response and professionalism” throughout the rescue mission. He stressed the importance of continued public collaboration, requesting that residents across Kano State offer reliable intelligence that could support ongoing efforts to combat insecurity.

The recent rescue comes as communities in Tsanyawa Local Government Area face recurring threats from armed groups. Earlier in the week, criminals reportedly abducted ten individuals from two neighbouring villages, Biresawa and Tsundu. A relative of several victims, Kabiru Usman, narrated that the armed men struck around 10:00 p.m., seizing five people from each settlement.

“They came on foot, armed with guns. They kidnapped my wife, Umma; my seventeen-year-old daughter, Fati; my brother’s wife, and two other women,” Usman said.

He added that villagers attempted to resist the attack but were quickly overpowered. “We tried to stop them, but our weapons were no match for them as they were carrying guns,” he disclosed.

Usman further revealed that residents had earlier warned security agencies after receiving intelligence that the attackers were advancing towards their communities.

“Before the attack occurred, we got a report that they were heading towards us, and we notified the security agencies, including the police and military, ahead of time because they gave us their numbers and asked us to call if we got any information,” he added.

The Police Public Relations Officer in Kano State, Superintendent Abdullahi Kiyawa, acknowledged the report and said officers would verify the details and provide updates.

Share