BEIJING, China — At least 90 people have been confirmed dead following a devastating explosion at a coal mine in northern China, marking the country’s deadliest mining disaster in more than a decade.
The blast occurred Friday evening at the Liushenyu Coal Mine in Shanxi province while 247 workers were reportedly on duty underground. Chinese state media said more than 100 miners were rescued, while dozens sustained injuries, with 27 people currently receiving treatment in hospital.
Okay News reports that Chinese authorities described the incident as the country’s worst mining disaster since 2009. Rescue operations involving hundreds of emergency personnel continued into Saturday as crews searched for possible survivors.
According to state media, many victims were affected by poisonous gas following the explosion. Carbon monoxide levels inside the mine reportedly exceeded safety limits after the blast.
One injured miner, identified as Wang Yong, said he noticed smoke spreading rapidly moments before people began collapsing from the fumes.
“I smelled sulphur, the same smell you get from blasting. I shouted at people to run,” he reportedly told Chinese media.
Chinese President Xi Jinping ordered authorities to make every possible effort to rescue survivors and treat the injured, while the State Council announced a “rigorous” investigation into the disaster.
Several members of the mine’s management team have reportedly been detained as investigators examine the cause of the explosion.
State media said rescue efforts faced difficulties after water accumulated near the explosion site, while inaccurate mine blueprints complicated access to trapped areas underground.
The Liushenyu mine had previously been listed among sites with “severe safety hazards” by China’s National Mine Safety Administration in 2024. The company operating the mine, Tongzhou Group, was also reported to have received administrative penalties earlier this year over safety violations.
Shanxi province is China’s largest coal-producing region, accounting for more than a quarter of the country’s coal output.
Although China has tightened mining regulations in recent years following a series of deadly industrial accidents, fatal incidents continue to occur in the country’s vast coal sector.

