By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Okay NewsOkay NewsOkay News
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
Reading: Bayern Munich Announce Niko Kovac As Jupp Heynckes Replacement
Font ResizerAa
Font ResizerAa
Okay NewsOkay News
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
Follow US
  • About Us
  • Advertising
  • Contact
  • Careers
  • Team
2026 © Okay International Limited - All rights reserved
Sports

Bayern Munich Announce Niko Kovac As Jupp Heynckes Replacement

Farouk Mohammed
By
Farouk Mohammed
ByFarouk Mohammed
Publisher
Farouk Mohammed is the Publisher and Lead Editor of Okay News, an international digital news platform delivering verified reporting across technology, global affairs, business, innovation, and...
Follow:
Published: 2018/04/13
2 Min Read
Share
SHARE

German top club team Bayern Munich have announced Eintracht Frankfurt boss Niko Kovac will succeed Jupp Heynckes as their manager at the end of the season.

Heynckes took over following ex-Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti’s dismissal in September and led Bayern to their sixth Bundesliga title in a row.

The 72-year-old is in his second spell at the club, and could yet win the Champions League again.

Former Croatia captain Kovac played for Bayern from 2001-2003.

- Advertisement -

The 46-year-old, who has also managed Croatia, has signed a three-year contract and will take up his new role on 1 July.

Kovac, born in Berlin to Croatian parents, is under contract to Frankfurt until 2019 and reports in the German media have suggested his release clause is 2.2 million euros (£1.9m).

Both clubs last week denied Kovac was on his way to Munich.

“There is no reason to doubt that I will be the coach of Frankfurt next season,” he said.

Several high-profile coaches, including Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino, were linked with the Bayern job after Heynckes reportedly rejected the offer of a contract extension.

Germany’s World Cup-winning head coach Joachim Low ruled himself out of contention, declaring his intention to honour his contract with the national team, which runs until 2020.

Former Borussia Dortmund coach Thomas Tuchel also rejected the chance to join the German champions, who on Friday were paired with Real Madrid in the Champions League semi-finals.

“Niko knows the people in charge as well as the structure and the club’s DNA,” said Bayern sports director Hasan Salihamidzic. “We are convinced he is the right coach for the future of Bayern.”

Kovac’s brother Robert, also a former Bayern player, is expected to move with him as his assistant.

Follow Okay News channel on WhatsApp
Add as a preferred source on Google
Follow Okay News on Instagram
- Advertisement -

TAGGED:Football
Share This Article
Facebook Pinterest Whatsapp Whatsapp Email Print
Previous Article Nigeria’s Amusan Wins Gold in Hurdles Event at Commonwealth Games
Next Article Governor Lalong Declares Intention to Seek for Re-election In Plateau State

Stay Connected

FacebookLike
XFollow
InstagramFollow
TiktokFollow
WhatsAppFollow
- Advertisement -

More News

Sports

Arsenal Thrash Wigan 4-0 to Reach FA Cup Fifth Round

By
Adamu Abubakar Isa
2 Min Read
Sports

Salah Scores as Liverpool Thrash Brighton 3-0 to Reach FA Cup Fifth Round

By
Adamu Abubakar Isa
1 Min Read
Sports

Guehi Nets First Man City Goal as Holders Beat Salford in FA Cup

By
Adamu Abubakar Isa
1 Min Read
Okay NewsOkay News
2026 © Okay International Limited - All rights reserved
  • About Us
  • Advertising
  • Contact
  • Careers
  • Team
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?

Continue with Facebook